Sunday, 3 April 2011

Lazy Hot Cross Buns

I'm a lazy baker, and can't be bothered warming soy milk and melting margarine etc, so here is my cheats version of the good old hot cross bun

2 cups warm water
3 Tbsp sugar (I use raw)
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp margarine or oil
2 Tbsp yeast - not the surebake stuff the ordinary kind
1 cup wholemeal/ chapatti flour (or high grade white)

Mix all these together, leave to go frothy, then add

1 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice

Stir through well, then add

4 cups high grade (bread making) flour

mix well, knead till smooth (love my kenwood dough hook!), leave to rise in an oiled covered bowl till doubled in size.

Divide into 24 bits (half, divide each half into 3, and each 3 into 4) make the bits into bun shapes by tucking the loose bits under - try and hide the raisins so they won't burn while cooking.
Leave to rise till doubled in size - I heat the oven to the lowest setting it will go, put a cup of boiling water in there and leave the buns for 15-30 mins.
Bake 200C for 20 mins.

Oh yeah, you can glaze and put the crosses on before you bake, but like I said, I'm lazy!

1 comment:

  1. ooo yum! thanks for sharing that. all the others i've seen involve eggs... (and effort ;) )

    ReplyDelete