Sunday, 11 July 2010

Chai tea syrup

I bought some chia tea the other day, THEN read the ingredients, MILK, ugh, so then I googled vegan Chai tea and found this blog http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/12/chai-this.html (this chick is like my hero!) but as I'm a dead lazy sod and don't want to boil up this stuff every time I fancy Chai tea, I used her recipe and turned it into a syrup, just add a few Tablespoons to boiling water, top with milk substitute and bobs your relative!

Chai Tea Syrup:

3 cups water
3 cups sugar
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 tsp peppercorns
2 small cinnamon sticks
8 cardamon pods, broken open (I couldn't find this in the shops so just used ground cardamon)
sprinkle of ground ginger
Bring contents of sauce pan to boil carefully, stirring until the sugar is all dissolved. Simmer at low heat for 30 minutes, or until reduced by about half.
Add 2 black tea bags and allow to simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Pour tea from sauce pan through a strainer into a hot sterilized bottle, and when cold store in the fridge.

This is quite sweet, so you might want to increase the spice quantity, it would also be really nice with some orange peel in the syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment