Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Butter Chickpeas

This isn't my recipe, but GEE it tastes GOOD!
I think you could convince the most hardened meat eater to devour this.
The recipe amounts are just guidelines - 1 cup of chickpeas should feed 2 people, so increase as needed.

Butter Chickpeas.


2 small or 1 large onions, diced
grated fresh ginger*
grated fresh garlic
curry powder OR cumin, coriander and chilli powder
1-2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 can coconut cream

Fry onions, garlic, ginger and curry flavourings.
pour in can tomatoes and chickpeas, cook down slightly, then add the coconut cream.
cook till reduced to a thick creamy consistency (will depend on your coconut cream, I've had massive variations between brands and even cans) Season with salt if necessary.
Serve over fluffy rice.

* Keep your root ginger in a ziplock bag in the freezer, and just grate as required.

Just as a wee addition, I've made this with baked beans instead of chickpeas, and regularly add in cubed potato to make it go further. I also leave the onion out often and it still tastes fine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks this looks so yummy :) - and I have a tin of chickpeas that I bought ages ago so perfect :)

    ReplyDelete