Wednesday, 3 October 2007

Gingernuts!

So here goes the first post, hopefully this blog will work ok, let me know if you have any problems with it!

I was gutted when I found out that the Griffins Gingernuts aren't Vegan friendly, and somehow the fingers just don't taste quite right, so here's my vegan alternative.
They crisp up reasonably well as long as they are left to cool and then stored in an airtight container, not quite as jaw breaking as a griffins biscuit, but still a dunkable delight. Make sure when you bake these that if you have a fan oven you don't use the fan function, I find oil based biscuits brown too much if cooked in a fan forced oven, and of course you may need to adjust the time to suit your oven, mine seems to cook quite quickly.
We managed to make a tray of bikkies and 4 reasonable sized gingerbread men with this recipe, and the girls had lots of fun making the men while the batch of bikkies cooked (and then eating the men once they were cooked!)

Oh, and a note on my use of sugar, we don't have white sugar in the house, I can't stand the stuff, it's insipid, so if I say 'sugar' what I mean is brown and raw sugar mixed (my eldest son refused to eat raw sugar but would eat brown, so I've always thrown a packet of brown sugar into the sugar container with the raw stuff, it worked he ate it happily - should I be admitting I pandered to his sugar consumption?)

Gingernut bikkies

1/2 cup plus 1Tbsp oil
1/4 cup brown/raw sugar
3 generous Tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp boiling water
2 cups flour (for gluten free substitute a suitable GF baking mix)
pinch salt
3 tsp ground ginger

Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to the sugar, oil and golden syrup. Beat well. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and mix well.
Roll walnut sized balls and place on a tray lined with baking paper, flatten with a fork and bake 180c for 12 mins or until golden.
This mixture can be used to make crispy style gingerbread men.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously - Griffins gingernuts aren't vegan? What do they have in them? Hubby will be gutted! Not sure how we missed that on the label. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dairy some place, I know there was a BIG fuss when they changed the labels to show it in there, and when I stopped eating them, my excema finally went away, so yeah... they were naughty and had the dairy as a hidden ingredient for ages. They may have changed the recipe now, I haven't bothered to look. The fingers are dairy free, but taste yuck I reckon.

    ReplyDelete