Wednesday, 3 October 2007

Chocolate shortbread?

OK, so it doesn't really taste like shortbread, the whole buttery thing still eludes me, but these are full of chocolate goodness and passed the taste test with a big thumbs up from the kids.

Chocolate Shortbread

450gms Pam's compound choc chips OR Whitaker's dark chocolate
1 cup cornflour (GF would be rice flour)
2 cups flour (or a suitable GF baking mix)
10 Tbsps (scant 1/2 cup) rice or soy milk

Preheat oven to 150c
Either grease tray or line with baking paper.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler with milk, add sifted flour and cornflour and knead till combined and smooth (you may need an extra tablespoon of milk). Roll out to 1/2 inch thick, cut into shape and prick with a fork, or roll into balls and flatten with a fork. You need to work quickly with this dough as it solidifies as it cools down.
Bake 20 mins.

I originally had the time set to 30mins, but they turned out quite dry and hard the day after they were baked, and I think a shorter cooking time may improve the texture, we'll have to eat up the first batch so I can try them again (what a hardship for my two chocolate obsessed girls).
If the bikkies don't turn out soft enough then my next step will be to try a 1/2 tsp of cream of tarter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi ya, spelt flour is only low-gluten, so no good for those completely avoiding it. I have a feeling that you'll need a combo of several GF flours to get a good alternative. The premix flours usually combine potato/rice/soy etc. I'm not keen to use millet flour completely in the carrot muffins (I think that's where you had it) as I don't like the taste of millet porridge lol. Hmmm, maybe those ones will be too tricky. Or perhaps you could just suggest that people use a "suitable gf baking mix" as a way of getting around it. That's what I do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, I don't really know anything about being Gluten free but I'm keen to learn. I've adjusted the recipes to your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete